Juggling in Tokyo

Ken Nishimura's blog about juggling, photos, living and sometimes working in Tokyo.

Monday, March 05, 2007

Good things are good.

My new cell phone isn't as bad. It's expensive and it doesn't do everthing I thought it does, but still, it has many cool features. For one thing, a voice recognition system is nice. Today, when I was rushing out of a building to go to another press meeting, I TOLD my phone where I was and where I was going. It then, analysed my voice and transcribed what I just said in text boxes. Pressing the search button, I got the result. Subway lines are too complicated in Tokyo and we need a computer aid system to look for the easiest, fastest and cheapest transition route.

Another thing I did with my cell phone today was to search a small hotel I'd never been to. I roughly knew where the hotel was and when I got off the subway, I thought it would be easy to find. And then, it turned out to be not as easy. After 5 minutes walk, I seem to have lost the sense of direction. So, I used the GPS and it showed me the way right away. Just like a car navigation system, I followed the colored path for like 10 minutes, not completely relaxed since I could not 100% trust the system. When the front lobby of the hotel came into my sight, I was glad I had a cell phone like this one. I would have been late for the meeting.

4 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Dedwarmo said...

I love your blog. Your English is so good, I would have thought you went to school in the USA. I too am an older juggler. I am 38 years old. I do some easy patterns with 3 balls, clubs, rings. My 4 ball fountain needs work.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger ken said...

Thank you for your compliment. Yes, in a sense, I went to school in the US. I spent 10 months in California attending some private language schools on and off when I was 30.

Juggling itself isn't easy. You remember
how difficult it felt to deal with 3 clubs? :)

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Mark said...

It's good to hear that it's not just gaijin who find it difficult to navigate Tokyo's subway system :-)

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger ken said...

Yeah, it's really difficult. You should also take it in consideration how long it takes to change trains since some stations are huge and takes more than 15 minutes to go from one side to the other.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home